Sunday, December 8, 2013

So a guy walks into a bar....

Last we chatted I was getting ready for Thanksgiving and finishing up the dining room so we could use it for our wonderful Thanksgiving Gala!  I can NOT believe how fast time has sped and I find myself telling you about Christmas but here we are.  To kill the curious cat... we have been moving along and the Library Bar is now done and well used, I might add.  : )  In addition, Miles bedroom is almost complete and I am chomping at the bit to get it done but other things have placed themselves ahead in the line and so, in typical Cherie fashion, I continue to disappoint myself my by missing my self imposed deadlines.
What could possibly putting itself ahead of Martha?  Please believe me that I ask myself this question daily and I even do that outloud!!! George loves to answer the question with "Looks like you never really cared about how the house looks...you never have."  and then he walks away laughing!!!   Okay, that calms me down a bit...I know that we have gotten a ton done in a short 6 months but for the love... could anything go quick and easy...I'd settle for quick and painless....how about "quickly"? Martha continues to teach me patience. I never knew how impatient I was before this.  So with that I feel like Martha continues to teach me to be a better person...well, at least a more patient person.
Let's have a peek at what we've been up to lately...


This is the Library before we bought it...

Here's an action shot of George "cutting" the walls in the library...



We are doing these walls the same as the dining room to tie them together... The wall with the actual bar is painted Swiss Chocolate and the others are the Williamsburg Stone.  The crown molding was sanded and then saturated with a wonderful brown oil... you need to see this in person...



These are the pocket doors that lead into the living room and they are such a treat... but as will almost all the rooms in Martha, they are just two of four doors in this room.

So here it is with all it's trimmings and I must tell you the floor was my favorite.  We got sorta "fancy".. hey don't hate the hipster!


Aren't they beautiful?  We usually keep them open because I've closed off the huge door from the receiving area into the dining room and this is how you get from there to here...but if need be and George or the kids want to watch something in the bar, I can still listen to the stereo in the living room in glorious peace.

 I turned a hard wired light into a plug in lamp and hung it over the bar table!  Love it!

 View from the dining room doorway.  Now don't you want to come and have a beverage or two?

 This door leads to the back staircase and basement staircase and into the door to the kitchen.

 The tv is so big but it looks small on this wall and usually the cords aren't showing but we had an issue so... well... you know.


 Cool cool floor with a nice area rug....


 A better view of the beautiful floor...


Great spot for a light dinner or lunch or a dirty martini or four...

Still have a few things to get up on the walls and I still have to paint the bottom buffet that holds the liquor but we are moving along to finish Miles room and George is finishing the back kitchen floor!  UPDATE... thanks to the best neighbors on the planet... I opened the bathroom door that leads out to the back kitchen now instead of the kitchen... on that note... I just want to say that our neighbors Dave and Kevin are so wonderful.  They have had us over for dinner once a week and they are so fun and we are very lucky to have found such warm and inviting friends.  We lived in Harvard for 20 years and NEVER once were invited for a drink, let alone DINNER.  These guys continue to amaze us with their generosity and kindness and they had a key that fit our door! Lucky, lucky us... this neighborhood is amazing!  OLD WEST END RULES!
I'll be back with more updates....soon.
Hope all is well and you're wrapping up with someone warm.
Peace,
Cherie

No comments: