Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Counterman's Diner

Supper



As the screen door slams
It hits the jam and swings back open
Her apron, tossed on the floor,
As much as describes her mental state



I always feel welcomed here
Stools beckoning me like an old friend
The counter, always clean and ready for elbows
A newspaper lays open but unread



It is never too hot in the diner
As the fan blows a soft breeze
I saw you dip your hand in the bin
and place the ice cube in your mouth


She's leaning up against his truck
Giggling at the hint of words he has not yet said
If cakes are burning she won’t notice
What she’s getting isn’t on the menu


They are not aware of me standing here
The pies look inviting… I might take one home
As I slip my straw back in the glass I stand and watch
my napkin fall to the floor.


A malleable tune echoes from the radio
Louis sings about a summer with a thousand Julys
I wish you were here … but this is no postcard
and I can no longer go home.




This is my Ekphrastic Poem written for The Counterman - Diner by Emily Brock
The piece is glass, fused, slumped, lampworked; metal.  Purchased with funds given in memory of Judie Chatreau.  You can now find the piece in the Glass Pavillion at the Toledo Museum of Art.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cherie,
I'm loving this poem! I took an Ekphrastic writing course at the museum about 3 years ago; I think it's such a great way to engage with visual art. I teach a unit on this kind of poetry and would love to use your piece for its tone, its exacting imagery (If cakes are burning she won't notice/What she's getting isn't on the menu) That IS great poetry, and word choice (malleable tune echoes..)Your missing of Louis is poignant and that last line..."and I can no longer go home." is haunting and true and lovely. Thank you for giving me my poetry fix of the day. If you like reading poetry, check out Sandra Cisneros' collection: LOOSE WOMAN. It's fun and sassy and witty and smart like you!

Laurie