Monday, April 12, 2010

Bette Middler said...You gotta have friends.

For whatever reason, today I felt as if I was moving in circles.  My mind was going this way and my body that.  Writing a paper seemed pointless and doing dishes seems endless.  I needed to find something to get me back to my "Center".


Tai Chi class helped... but in the end, I found my "Center" at book club.  Obvious ... said the forest.  Where better to find yourself than with a group of friends who love you in spite of yourself and because of yourself.  Sitting with women who would love to judge you - but don't, who laugh with you - not at you...well maybe a few laugh at me... but what ever it is, it is real.  It is friendship.  It is life.  It's messy and it's soft and it's hard and noisey and it's quiet. 


My life is different because I know them and I hope they'd say the same.  Some love the book, some don't.  The conversation jumps ---wine  death  highlights  graduations  climbing mountains  survival  birth  bras  giggling  food  - maybe we should now discuss the book?  Everyone coming from their place to discuss this place. 


With all the talk of how ... in the end...we leave this world alone....  we don't hear enough about the space that friendship fills.  I may leave this world alone but I will not be by myself... my friends will be holding my hand, helping me giggle into that light.  They might not know that part just yet but they will.


So for my Six Word Summary this week...drum roll please....


My friends make the ride worthwhile!

1 comment:

marianne black said...

HARD TO READ THE BLUE INK ON GREEN WITH THESE OLD EYES!! HAD LIGHT BUT USED A MAGNIFYING GLASS. JEEZE- I'M ONLY 53 AND A QUARTER!!!